Wednesday 18 July 2012

England Selection & Boddington 50km

Sunday 1st July 2012


I had entered the Boddington 50km Ultra with the sole aim of running a qualifying time for the World 50km Trophy in October, it had been a late decision to enter and meant I only had 8 weeks to train for it after having nearly 6 weeks off with very little running.

To say the race didn’t go to plan would be an understatement and I wont bore you with a 14 lap-by-lap report of the 2.2 miles covered in each lap.

The race had started well for me and I was comfortably running at 6min/mile and went through 10miles in 60mins then 20miles just a shave under 2 hours but at 23miles my legs began to tire and I started to struggle to maintain my 6min/mile pace dropping a few seconds a mile and at 28miles the wheels finally fell off as I struggled round the last 2 laps where my pace slowed down to 6:56min/mile and I dropped down from 4th place to 7th and Paul Fernandez and Allen Smalls went past me as if I was standing still!

I finished in 3:12.24, 6minutes slower than I had hoped for and knowing I had lost the chance of competing at the World 50km Trophy especially as the race had been won in a blistering 2:50! Results

Shortly after I had finished I had an invite from Norman Wilson to run for England in the Anglo Celtic Plate 100km in 3 weeks time on the 22nd July, I hadn’t been planning on running a 100km road race this year but thought the opportunity to run for England again was too great an opportunity to turn down.


1 comment:

  1. Looking good, Marcus! Well done with the 100k - catch up soon...

    ReplyDelete